SAFE Harbor MN
For the first time, Minnesota youth who engage in prostitution are viewed as victims and survivors, not criminals. They will be treated with dignity and respect, and directed to supportive services, and shelter and housing that meet their needs and recognize their right to make their own choices.
Sexual exploitation of youth in Minnesota is commonly overlooked, misidentified as something else and undocumented.
- Dodge, Fillmore, and Olmsted County Victim Services: The programs of Victim Services provide advocacy and support to victims of crime, sexual assault survivors, trafficking victims, and sexually exploited youth. This advocacy work includes prompting system change by working with our systems partners to be more responsive to the needs of victims. We also offer prevention education to challenge the existence of violence in our communities. Services include but are not limited to a 24 hour crisis line, crisis intervention services, support and advocacy during evidentiary exams at the emergency room and during law enforcement interviews, assistance with filing restraining orders and safety planning, as well as ongoing advocacy services throughout the life of a criminal case. Rochester, MN, 507-328-7270; 24-hour crisis line:507-289-0636
- -Do not send text or videos that are sexual in nature. They can be disseminated or used as coercion for sex trafficking/ exploitation.
- -Do not forward any photo's or videos of nude or sexual acts. May be charged with a crime in MN.
- -Do not respond to unknown messages on social media or text messages as predators use this method to groom victims of sex trafficking.
- -Parents routinely inspect your Childs phones and get to know the apps and who they are communicating with. When in doubt on an app, seek advice.
- -Avoid allowing a child to have access to their phone's during night time hours. unsupervised use may lead to contact with predators.
- -Be aware of your child receiving unusual and expensive gifts or money from someone you do not know. It may be a sign of being groomed by a predator.
- -Drug/Alcohol use make teens more vulnerable and potential targets to sex trafficking or sexual exploitation.